From:
Barbara Laugesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:05:00 -0400
First I must apologize to those who may be seeing this for the second time.
I posted something similiar to this on another list.

I am in total agreement that we cannot let Kodo's death be the end of the
story.  It must be the beginning.  And I know that the work that must be
done is just beginning.

Just like everyone else, I am outraged and in pain over what happened to
Kodo.  It was definitely an injustice to common sense and law.  I also know
myself better than anyone else does and I know I tend to strike out while my
emotions are tangled and running wild.  I am also smart enough to realize
that I need to get those emotions in check, get my eggs all gathered in one
basket, and then strike out.

To this end, I need help.  I live in Florida, which is a kill and test state
also.  We do have some representatives that represent districts south of
where I live that are taking up this issue.  I want to bring the
representatives in my district into this arena as well.  To do this, I need
information (not emotions, please, I have enough for all of us), and facts
to present to them.  Information needed would be on rabies in ferrets, facts
of how long ferrets have been companion animals, facts on why the laws
should be changed, and any documentation that will back facts up.  I realize
this is a large undertaking, but any undertaking can be brought down to
size, one step at a time.  E-mail me at [log in to unmask] so as not to take
up room on FML.  Thanks to all in advance.

Also, I have to agree with Bob Church in the need for a national
organization.  The support is out there for one.  Look how all have united
for the common goal for Kodo.  We need this for one another.  There are
other Kodo's out there, it could be mine or it could be yours.  We are one
big family with a lot in common.  And like all families, we argue and fight
but unite when it is demanded of us.  That demand is there.  We have to
support each other in changing things for California, and all other FFZs.
Also have to change things in our own individual states.  One person cannot
do this, it is going to take all of us.  The momentum has started because of
Kodo, it cannot end because Kodo in no longer here.

I am new to ferret love (only since August of 1996).  However, I cannot and
will not sit back and let peoples blind prejudices towards ferrets continue.
 People need to be educated (no, it's not a possum).  I am going to take it
one step at a time and educate myself first so I can be effective.  That is
why I need information and facts from everyone else.

Sorry this is so long.  I promise not to get so long winded next time.

Barbara

Life, freedom, and the persuit of ferrets forever!