From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:37:34 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=6545&startid=6550

If I understand right you are treating Badger with Gatorade, Ensure, and
Gerber's baby food only.  He has been having green muciod diarrhea with a
"bird seed appearance" to it for ~4 weeks now.  Assuming he has ECE, then
there are a few things that can be added to your current treatment.

Some ferrets will benefit from an antibiotic.  There may be a secondary
bacterial infection in addition to the corona virus (ECE).  I would
suggest amoxicillin (Amoxidrops, Clavamox drops) and/or Amforol.  Some
ferrets will benefit from a medicine to treat the diarrhea itself such
as Amforol or Imodium or Kaeopectate.  Some ferrets will benefit from a
medicine to reduce the inflammation in the intestinal tract (pediapred or
Flagyl).  I do not recommend Flagyl or Pepto just because most ferrets
hate the taste and struggle so much with them.

It is unusual for such a young ferret to take so long to recover from
ECE, so it would be worth doing another fecal check to rule out parasites
such as giardia and coccidia.  As long as he is eating well and not
grinding his teeth or pawing at his mouth then Carafate or an antacid is
not needed.  If he does not like the taste of baby food then Hill's a/d
is another option to try.

Good luck with Badger,
Jerry Murray, DVM