From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 00:29:46 EST
I hope that BIG will allow this through.  I know that the article referred
to here has not been posted, not mentioned in the FML, but this information
needs to get out as quickly as possible.  I need to reach people in the
Legion of Superferrets who can then pass on the info to others in LOS.
This can't wait until the next newsletter in two months or so.

An article about the Xmas rescue is in the latest LOS Newsletter.  I don't
have permission to reprint to article here, and it's too long anyway.  I
do not know if it appears online anywhere.  Maybe someone in the LOS would
know if it does.

In this article, Rose Smith, the author, suggests that anyone wanting to
donate to the rescue send money directly to Dr.Paul Kim, the vet who did
the lion's share of the neuterings and will most likely do most of the
pending surgeries as well.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND DIRECTLY TO DR. KIM.
Please send all donations to SOS as requested by both Anne and Kim from the
very beginning.  Any checks received by Ridgefield Park Animal Hospital
will be signed over to SOS promptly.  Please pass this information along
to the rest of LOS as best as possible.  Thank you.

If I may, I'd also like to respond to the article's allegations that the
condition of these ferrets was the result of a couple of days neglect by
their sick owner.  Having been there and seen and handled the ferrets
myself, I can honestly report that the condition they were in resulted from
many months of neglect and abuse.  Two vets have now diagnosed some of the
ferrets as having frostbite damage on their ears.  Many had nails that were
turning under the foot from their length, or had been ripped out because
they got too long.  Some looked like they'd been rotted.  Teeth were rotten
and broken.  There were 8 girls with pyometra out of 26.  One boy had a
huge tumor in his ear.  This does not happen overnight or in a few days.

I have been meaning to post here to update folks on the status of the Xmas
rescue ferrets, but I have been swamped at work and at home and have not
been able to get to the computer.  As it is, I'm hoping I get this in
before midnight Sunday night.  If anyone is interested in hearing more
about the ferrets, please come over to the NJFerrets eGroup (now Yahoo).
This list is for anyone who volunteered or donated or adopted or is just
curious.  Many of the ferrets have found new homes already.  Most are
doing well and settling in; a few are having problems with biting.  Many
of us are comparing notes on behavior and habits.  Please feel free to
stop on in.

I'll sign off by saying that Fugly, formerly #63, is doing wonderfully here
at my house.  He's now living with 4 other big boys and is a happy idiot.

Take care all.
Anastasia Kidd