From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:11:01 -0400
The order of ingredients is an indication, but not necessarily the whole
story in determining protein content and quality.

For example, one food might say "chicken meal, corn gluten meal, chicken,
chicken fat" and another say's "chicken by product, rice, chicken fat."

You might think the first has more meat protein, since 2 of the first 3
ingredients are meat based.  But the actual percentages might be something
like 13%, 12%, 5%, 4% for the first and 22%, 8%, 4% for the second.  Thus
the first food has only 18% meat protein vs 22%, and more grain than the
second and may be the poorer quality food.

Then there is also the issue (discussed in great detail by Bob Church in a
series of posts some months ago) of the quality of protein.  The pet food
industry definitions are fuzzy enough that one company's "by-product" or
"meal" may be much better or worse than another company.  For example, Iams
on their web page, claims their chicken by-product has a higher useable
protein index than other pet foods.

We just don't have the information to make truly informed decisions just
based on the package labels. Instead we mostly have to go on our own
experience and the experience of other ferret owners.

From what I've read, heard from others, and seen for myself, I believe TF
and Iams to be better foods than KT.  However, as a shelter, I feed a mix
of foods.

This is just what I think.  I'm not a nutrition expert.  Others opinions are
available and may be better than mine.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter West
"The Raisin Retreat"