From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:55:39 -0800
To Stephanie:

>Tuesday I found runny green poops....  both their poops were loaded with
>bacteria...  they do, however, have a grainy texture to them.  Is this
>normal for fuzzies who are getting over the mean greenies, if that is what
>they had?

Stephanie -

    Remember that not all green stools are indicative of ECE.  The greenish
color to the stool simply means that they have not been adequately digested,
for a large number of reasons.  Often when ferrets eat something that they
shouldn't, or are really stressed out, the transit time through the GI tract
will increase, and the stools will become runny ( not all the water has been
taken out of them) and the color may be different.  The granininess also
indicates that digestion is not quite back up to par.  If they haven't been
in contact with other ferrets within the last week or so, the chances that
they have ECE is very small (especially since Jake does not have similar
signs).

    Let's just keep them on the Amoxi until it runs out and stay away from
the treats until their feces form back up....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath