From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:05:47 EDT
I recently saw the Verizon ad the other night.  It appears everyone had
seen it but me.  Last weekend I went to a football tryout in the early
morning hours just to see what type of people were trying out.  I guess
you can say job security.  I decided to take Munchkins.  I had been
working with her with her eating disorder.  I thought she could get some
good air even though we are around Atlanta.  I carry her in a frontal
pouch.

Mind you.  The veterans who played last year knew I had ferrets.  As I
approach the veteran women there they begin to get fidgety.  They ask
what was in the bag.  Some I would say were genuinely uptight about
having a ferret around.  I sat some where else.  Later they became more
accepting and curious.  I am sitting on the ground next to the field.
Muchkin is laying on the grass.  The head coach comes over in a partial
joking manner.  Get that thing away from me.  He will never get my
tongue.  They are mean.  I explained I haven't seen the commercial so I
don't get it.  Now, others seem to draw back the commercial and some of
the children react off the parents and then the children become scared.
Luckily, as we are leaving some children do come up to ask questions in
which when their parents were reacting would not.

As I am leaving, I run into another coach on the way through an area to
get to the parking lot.  I am just walking.  First thing he says is get
that thing away from him.  Since we weren't that close to him.  I pretty
much ignored him.  He is a big guy, but I had pegged him as someone with
wimpish manners.  So, we went our different way.

Even though it was a commercial.  It did have some impact.  The people
that were exposed to ferrets in the past had a different mentally from
the ones who saw the ad and then saw one in person.

I have only seen it once, I tried to look at it in different
perspectives.  I didn't find it funny.  Honestly, I couldn't figure out
what the furry thing was.  If someone hadn't told me before I saw the
commercial.  I may not have thought it to be a ferret.  Most of the time
commercial had to sell me in the beginning seconds to make me look up
from playing with the ferts.

Just one of my experiences.

Benita