From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:31:29 -0400
I hope no one will flame Nell for posting her question about Bitter
Apple.  After all, it was only a question.  She didn't say she had done
anything yet.  She simply asked if a suggestion someone gave her was a
good one.  We do not wish to discourage people from asking questions.
My response to Nell was that I would never spray Bitter Apple at a
ferret, for fear of getting it into their eyes, but another method that
has worked well for me with problem biters is to soak a Q-Tip in Bitter
Apple, and when the ferret bites to grab the ferret, scruff it, and put
the Q-Tip into its mouth.  Now, this is my last resort treatment for
ferrets that have refused to respond to the usual methods of discouraging
biting, such as scruffing, hissing, and time-outs, the ferrets who draw
blood, and are presenting a real problem.  Some ferrets are just very
persistent, and require something a bit more forceful.  I've also found
that with those ferrets, simply spraying the Bitter Apple on your feet
and legs usually won't do the trick.  They seem to need a more
concentrated dose for it to have an effect.

I've been flamed for suggesting this method before.  I've been told it
was cruel and heartless.  I do not see it as such.  It does not cause the
ferret pain in any way.  It will not really harm the ferret or poison the
ferret.  An important thing to remember is this is a last-resort sort of
behavior modification training on ferrets where nothing else has worked.
In order for something to be a behavior deterrent, it has been seen an
UNPLEASANT in some way to the animal.  That means painful or else
unpleasant in some other way.  I would never do anything that would be
painful to a ferret.  I do consider that to be cruel.  Bitter Apple does
not cause them pain, but they do hate it.  I've also been told that I
could "put the ferret's eye out." To this I can only say, yes, if I was
stupid enough to poke it in the eye, I guess I could.  That's why I
scruff the ferret to hold it still, and I'm very careful about how I do
this.  I don't just randomly jab the Q-Tip at the ferret willy-nilly.
That would be a very stupid thing to do.  None of my problem ferrets
have acted the least bit traumatized over it.  They still love me and
trust me.

I also follow up with a time-out after the Q-Tip.  Most of my problem
children were not fear biters, but did it out of playfulness and wanting
to get my attention.  (They just don't realize our skin isn't as tough
as theirs.) So it's just as important to teach them another alternative
for seeking my attention.  So I also reward them when they use an
acceptable method to seek my attention, such as licking me instead of
biting me, or nudging me with their nose.  It's important that the ferret
still have a way of asking you to play.  They just must be taught a more
acceptable means of doing this, a replacement behavior if you will.

In Nell's situation, I consider it vital that she teach her naughty boy
better manners, for his sake as well as hers.  Her scars have already
brought about unwanted attention.  If he were to bite a guest in her
home, and they chose to press the issue, it could be very bad for all
concerned.  Sometimes it's in the ferret's best interest to curb a
problem behavior.  Please try to remember that.  I wish Nell best of
luck with her naughty boy.  It's evident that she loves him.

Holly
Icuars & Cato