From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 11:59:55 -0700
I have been following the whole ADV/ECE ferret show debate and it is
really odd.

First of all, I have read several articles stating that a ferret who has
had ECE can still carry it for up to six months (of course, nobody is
positive on this) and I have also read articles on ADV that appear to me
as though a ferret can have it and show NO symptoms of it at all.  This is
interesting to me since if a ferret is showing no symptoms, why then would
anyone think "oh, I had better have my ferret tested for ADV"?  There are
going to be people who bring their ferrets to shows who are not even aware
of the illnesses the ferret could be carrying.  Also, ADV tests are not
always conclusive or accurate.  The main point is that nobody knows for
certain the EXACT contagion time for ECE and nobody knows exactly what
ADV is.

Here is my suggestion to those who are concerned about the well-being of
their ferrets:  DON'T TAKE YOUR FERRETS TO FERRET SHOWS!  I cannot
understand the fascination with "showing off" your animals.  Do you really
think the animal enjoys being shown?  Does the animal have a choice?  Does
the animal care about ribbons?  Think about this.  Undue stress results,
which is often seen for a few days afterwards when your animal is pooping
green stress poops.  I ask what benefit does the animal get from these
shows and events?  NOTHING!  For years people have speculated about parents
who force their children into activities that the child does not want to
partake in and the future psychological damage caused by such.  I am not
implying that ferrets will have psychological damage BUT to me, it is a
similar analogy.  The authority is forcing someone with less authority to
do something that will benefit themselves.  This to me, is what ferret
shows are about.  A ferret owner wanting to "show off" at the ferrets
expense.  Why not do other contests or share photos with one another
instead?  This would certainly cut down on the spread of disease.

A ribbon is really not worth the added stress to my ferrets nor the
possibility of health problems.  I recall everyone being upset over someone
"showing off" their ferret at a public park in CA-CA land and taking a big
risk for the ferret.  How is this so much different?

Think about THE FERRET, and not your foolish pride.

[HP]