From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:58:34 -0700
>From:   zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Zen's rebuttal of A-X posting...
>Sales is what most shelters do.  They take money (adoption fees) in exchange
>for goods (ferrets).

Well, I suppose with this logic then the human adoption agencies are selling
human babies.  Do they have to collect sales tax on money (adoption fees)
exchanged for goods (human babies)?  I don't think so.  Selling human babies
is actually illegal, but an "adoption" is not.

>Its illegal to discriminate against a customer but maybe if we call it an
>adoption than the courts will not see it as a sale.

Oh please!  Have you never heard of "we reserve the right to refuse service
to anyone"?  Just as human adoption agencies have requirements for adoption,
so do shelters.  One of my shelters requirements is that the *adoptor* must
be able to afford veterinary bills.  If they don't have the money to
adequately house, feed and care for the ferret then they don't qualify and I
will refuse the adoption (service).

Sandi
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
Seattle, WA