From:
Michelle Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:01:56 -0600
Hi,

My name is Michelle and I am a third year veterinary student at Auburn
University in Alabama.  I am writing in response to the concerns someone had
about hair loss on the ribs and an enlarged spleen.  I am sorry I forgot
your name and already deleted my FML this morning.

Splenomegaly is completely normal in ferrets of various ages and usually
appears enlarged on ultrasound and radiographs.  I am worried that the hair
loss could be the first signs of an adrenal tumor problem.  As many of us
realize how common that problem is.  I would reccomend finding a veterinary
clinic with an ultrasound machine and someone qualified to scan ferrets and
I would look at each adrenal for signs of enlargement or abnormal
architecture.  You should also have the entire abdomen scanned at the same
time since you are paying for an exam and keep a close lookout for enlarged
lymph nodes and nodules in the pancreas.  We all know how prevelant neoplasia
is in our little guys.  I would love to hear from you or anyone that would
like to talk ferret medicine.  Take care and good luck with your little guy.

Michelle

P.S.  If anyone ever needs me to use any of my resources here at the vet
school to do some research on a subject, just yell, and I would be glad to
do what I can to help.