From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 00:20:13 -0400
Hi Everyone:

Most of the readers of the FML will recall Rene Down's serious car
accident a few years ago. Fortunately, Renee and the majority of her
ferrets came through the accident with minor injuries and probably
more emotional trauma than anything. One ferret, Gandolf one of
Renee's DMK rescues did not survive.

As a result of this situation and in honor of Gandolf, I re-evaluated
how I traveled with my ferrets, also my other pets. My animals are now
always in the back seat (unless I need the front seat room for the
number I am transporting - or I have another driver and I am holding
them in a sack to watch them.

I avoid the front seat because of the airbags. (Having written that
maybe I should ride in the back seat when holding a ferret!) Once their
carriers are placed in the required location, they are bungeed (bungee
cords) into place from a variety of directions. I also try to have
doors facing inward so no one is thrown out of the vehicle if the car
door is thrust open or a cage is damaged so the doors open. It often
looks like a spider has taken up resident in my little white Vibe.

I don't have all the answers and there may be concepts I have not
thought of here, but I try to focus on their safety first, comfort
(temps and air flow), second and my convenience last. I can hang pillow
cases over carriers or in the windows to help block the hot sun. I also
throw towels or larger blankets over them to keep them warm and blocked
from the strong winds we get here in NY during the winter. If the kids
are not buried in their sleep sacks a burst of winter air in the teens
is quite a shock from a toaster ride in the heated car. And there
always seems to be wind in the vet parking lot!

My goal is not tot ell you how to travel with your pets, but rather,
to ask you to take time to evaluate the considerations you do have
for them.

Happy trails to all.

Cathy

Feed rescued animals in two clicks