From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:05:05 EST
Well, I've received a few emails asking about Sean's new little honey
bunny (that's what I call him) ... little Pharos.  I hadn't posted
anything about them, because you see that's the thing.  There is really
no news.  It seems Rocky has given Sean so much and taught him so much,
that even though he obviously "uses" ferrets as a sort of therapy or
comfort animal ... he's not totally dependant on Pharos.  They are
adorable together.  They love each other and spend much of the day
together, but, the air about them feels just like a normal boy and
ferret.  It's very bitter sweet to me.  For me it is a major change
in the house.  A real major change.

Pharos is deaf.  He seems to not have the very best of vision either.
But that's just fine.  He's gorgeous, and he's sweet as honey.  Lays
right in your lap.  I've taken some photos, but I've been to busy to
process them and get them up on the net for everyone (darn dial up!).

Sean has been spoiling the youngster (who is now getting to full size),
by still making up "hot kibble" (hot water soaked kibble) once a day.
::shaking my head::  There's not a whole lot to tell (which is nice).

Oh, one thing.  Pharos has a bizarre behavior problem that just now arose
this week.  If you give him a foamy fry, he will screech (like a lot of
deaf ferrets do), turn and bite ... yes BITE you trying to defend it.
I've never ever seen something like this.  It's not with any other food
or treat.  This is a ferret that is so mild mannered it barely mouths
you.  So, each day, Sean's been working with him by giving him a piece of
fry in his arms and holds him tight while petting him carefully trying to
teach him that he is not going to steal his treat.  If anyone has ever
ran into this, and has an idea of what to do, let us know.

There have been absolutely no set backs with morning about Rocky at all.
Except for one time.  This past week, Sean went to plant three trees and
a few flowers for Rocky (sweet people sent them in the mail to him).
While he was planting them, Chet giggled and said something silly about
the seeds.  I promise you, it was nothing.  He didn't do a thing.  All
he did was something to the extent of singing "seeds seeds seeds" as he
walked by us.  And Sean, turned around, his face got red, his eyes
watered and he was yelling at the top of his lungs at his older brother.
It was sooooooooo bad ..... that we could not understand a word he said.
Something about "for his ferret Rocky'".  Really bad scene.  Out of
nowhere.  Chet just kind of froze.  I looked at Chet briefly, then I
quickly turned back to the pots and dirt and quietly asked "Sean, do you
want this tree over here"?  Because Chet was smart enough to no react
and because of me ignoring it, Sean's attention was diverted and it was
dropped.  We didn't say a word or explain that he must have heard
something wrong.  Because he was so upset.  I mean he would've only
worked himself up more, or maybe not believed us.  This way he got it
off his chest, his feelings were sort of validated by us letting it go.
I wish I could explain it better.  In case you are curious, the trees
are magnolia gems, and the flowers are forget me nots.

Wolfy

http://www.wolfysluv.com
Sean and Rocky Slide show
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7222047&uid=3512225