From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 20:13:22 -0700
To Meg Carpenter

>Can't remember who commented on tail amputation due to cancer - but comment
>of perhaps some interest.  Several years ago, I found a lump on the end the
>tail on an older MF neutered hob.  The end of the tail was amputated and path
>report was ----- primordial tissue tumor, indicative of prehensile tail.
>Previously seen in 13 other ferrets.  Will try to remember to get the path
>report and post it out.

        Meg - I know I didn't do the path on that one.  What we are actually
talking about here is a chordoma, the most common tumor of the
musculoskeletal system of the ferret.  The neoplasms arise at the end of the
tail from notochord - this is the primitive tissue which the spine develops
from.  We all carry a little bit of it with us for the remainder of our
lives.  (Humans develop this tumor, also).

        However, notochord has absolutely nothing to do with a prehensile
tail.  I'd love to get a copy of that path report though!!!

        I think I'll put a chordoma case report up on my Web site next week.
Stay tuned!!!

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP                                   Dept. of
Veterinary Pathology
AccuPath
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]  OR                                 Washington, D.C.
20306-6000
(202) 782-2600