Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:30:07 -0700
Anonymous (MD) wrote:

>ImRab3 IS recognized by the state for use in ferrets.  It's just that
>vaccination status has no bearing in determining risk of rabies in the
>animal.  The state recognizes the vaccine because the Minn. AG's Office has
>been warned by RM that they will pursue legal action if they claim
>otherwise.

What *is* it with some public health officials?  Don't they stay abreast of
the current studies and R&Rs?  Isn't that what they're paid to do?  How can
they claim to recognize a vaccine while claiming that vaccination status has
no bearing?  That makes no sense.  Threats from RM aside, don't they realize
that they're encouraging ferret owners NOT to vaccinate their animals?  I
vaguely understand personal bias against ferrets, but cannot comprehend how
trained biologists and epidemiologists would allow anything other than data
to affect their professional decisions.  "I don't like ferrets" does NOT
equal "Ferrets are a rabies danger." Holy Moly.  You'd expect this nonsense
out of politicians, but not scientists.

You got me all worked up. Sorry. I'm calm now.

We're sorta stuck.  There is little information available regarding ferrets
as rabies transmittors *because* ferrets have no history of transmitting
rabies.  One could argue cause and effect, but that doesn't cut any ice when
mom & dad are demanding that their child be given more importance than a
ferret.  You gotta admit -- they have a point.

>Minnesota as a state has no official policy.

I don't know if CA has a state policy either, but risk assessment is made on
a local basis (county) here also.  My county ph vet seems reasonable, and
suggested that his policy would change should we ever legalize.  At present,
ferrets become wild animals once they cross the CA state line.  (MN aint the
only state with inexplicable ferret policies).  I hear ph is less receptive
in Bakersfield and Fresno.  It's amazing how these little pockets of ferret
hatred spring up.

What do we do??  Keep hammering away with facts and reason, I guess.  In two
or three years we should have enough ammo to persuade even the non-believers
that ferrets are a relatively minimal rabies threat.  Whether this changes
the policy of local ph officials is another matter, but there are folks
who've lobbied for and enacted state quarantine laws, so it *can* be done.
(They know who they are, and my hat's off to all of them.)

swamp

"Who, me officer? What's a ferut? These guys?? No, they're Polish cats."