From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:09:49 -0500
On our FFS website www.ferretfamilyservices.org there is a link to our
handout for feeding old, sick..  ferrets.  Feel free to take a look and
copy it for your own use or others that may need it.  Our vet has a
printed copy that he hands out to his ferret clients with sick ferrets.
You can also take a virtural tour of our home if you'd like.  You might
spot a ferret or two. :-)

For flea protection we use Advantage.  I put one drop on the back of the
neck of each ferret.  I buy the large dog tubes.  The chemical percentage
is the same in the cat and dog version, the only difference is the larger
the tube the more chemical amount so buying the large tube and using 1
drop is the same as buying the cat/kitten tube and applying one drop,
the large tube has more drops, about 80, and for volume it costs less.

Some people use Frontline spray or drops or revolution.

Ferrets don't react as strongly by scratching as dogs or cats do to flea
bites so a ferret can have fleas but not act like they do.  This can lead
to anemia which can be deadly.  Two weeks ago our vet clinic called and
they had a ferret that was deathly anemic from flea bites.  Travis didn't
think he'd make it but I was more than willing to try to help him.  He
arrived at our house at 7 that evening and the supportive care started.
Nemo (formerly Phoenix in previous posts) was white as a sheet, no pink
to his gums, paw pads, ears, none, could barely lift his head and only
for a few seconds.  He was so weak I had to hold his head up as he lapped
recipe from the feeding syringe.  I'm pleased to say that today Nemo is
pink, laps from the saucer on his own, and is learning how to be a
ferret.  He is still weak and a bit wobbly but he toddles around the
house at will and the name Nemo fits as we often play the 'finding Nemo'
game at feeding times.  Nemo was fortunate that he was taken to our vet,
where they knew to call me because I would be willing to do the necessary
supportive care to try and get him through.  Nemo is about 2-3 yrs old.

hugs to all. tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org