From:
Penny Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:24:47 -0500
You know the ferrets are in control when:
You start rearranging the tubing in your house so the fuzzbeans won't get
bored, and realize most of the tubing is in your living room because its
'their' favorite room!

You know you are obsessed with the ferrets when:
When you pick up your e-mail, you scan down the list to locate the FML, so
you can read it first!

To Bryan Hall, thanks for sharing this difficult situation with us.  I know
its hard for you, but its helping me (and others) to know what works for the
next time I run into a similar problem.  I know it's easier just to avoid
going into these places, but I actually target the worst pet shops to check
things out.  I never buy anything in these places, I won't support them.
But by going in and checking out the conditions in which the animals are
kept, I can actually help them by reporting the pet shops to the appropriate
authorities.  If I don't go into the store, it doesn't mean there isn't an
animal suffering in there, it just means I don't know about it, and don't
feel sad.  At the very least, I can get the animal food, water or whatever
it needs at that moment.  Does it save the world, no.  Does it help that one
animal in need at that very moment, I believe so.  At the same time, I try
to talk to the people who care for the animals, ask to talk with the manager
to discuss my concerns, and take the problem as far as I deem necessary to
find some resolution.  For the pet shops who take good care of their animals
(yes, they're out there) I praise them for their efforts.  They need to know
what they do is noticed and matters.

And Bryan, what a wonderful person you found in Danielle at the Lake County
Humane Society!  GO DANIELLE!  She's in a position of being able to help a
lot of animals, and with that go-gettum attitude, she deserves a big pat on
the back!  I'd like to drop her a note and thank her for her efforts.  Do
you have an address?  IMHO, I think we need to thank the people who take
that extra step, make that additonal effort, to help the fuzzbeans.  And we
need to do so with as much zest as we go after the people who are part of
the problem.

Mary, thanks for the wonderful letter regarding your socks.  I've been
wondering why I keep buying socks, but can never find any to match!  I went
to the store in Dec and treated myself to a dozen pair of socks: skiiing
socks, wool socks for horseback riding, ankle whites for walking, cotton
scruncies, hiking socks....I got them all!  Can I find two that match now??I
think not!!  Back to the store.....

Re: ferrets and dogs/cats.  I have 4 ferts, 3 dogs, 5 cats.  Although they
all do fairly well together, I always keep an eye on them.  It would only
take a second for a dog to kill a fuzzbean.  My cocker spaniel tries to herd
the ferrets, and gets frustrated when they don't listen.  My best dog with
the ferrets is my youngest, a one year old, terrier, mix, mid-size.  He
plays non-stop with the 4 ferts if I let him.  He is gentle and loves them
and their antics.  He'll lay down for them to crawl on him, chew his ear,
whatever they want to do!  There are times when I put him in his crate for a
time out just because he gets too excited, and that 10-15 minutes allows him
to calm down.  After all, he's just a puppy.

The cats vary, as do their temperments.  The younger cats enjoy playing with
the ferrets, and when they've had enough, they run off.  The 2 older cats
will have nothing to do with the ferrets.

That's how it is at my house.  For everyone, it's different, because the
animals have their own personalities.  As you can see, the younger animals,
both cats and dogs, deal better with the ferrets, so I agree with the
puppy/young dog theory.  Just remember puppies take a lot of time, need your
constant attention, and you have a lot to train them.  I'm a big fan of
young dogs (10 months plus) that are usually housebroken, are a little less
rowdy, and are at that awkward age where they're not as cute as a puppy, but
may already be their full grown size...makes it harder to adopt them...check
your local rescues!

Thanks to everyone on the FML for all that you share. You are truly special!
Penny