From:
Karl Brodhecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 20:09:05 -0700
Regarding jills in heat: We get several such cases every year, some having
been in heat for three or more months.  Each has been spayed immediately
and each made a complete recovery.  We have three vets, all have done these
emergencies.  Our advice is to spay IMMEDIATELY, doing the prerequisite
tests of course.

If your vet needs further advice, he can check our website for ferret
emergency procedures, or call and be referred to one of our vets.  (Sorry,
the website is still not updated and formatted completely so you'll have to
scroll a bit -- our volunteer hasn't finished the layout yet.)

As to Hagen ferrets, I believe Hagen has a breedery in Quebec and also
contracts to another in Manitoba (Antler River).  I know nothing about the
Quebec operation, but Antler River is operated by three vets.  The ferrets
from there seem to be no less healthy or prone to ovarian/uterine stumps
than ferrets from other sources.  Bear in mind that the kits are altered
at about six weeks of age -- finding all the reproductive tissue is a
challenge.  However, as previously posted, Hagen will stand by their
guarantee AS LONG AS THE OWNER INFORMS HAGEN BEFORE TAKING ACTION.

The only times that Hagen has reneged has been when the owner refused to
co-operate.  This is a better record than the local mill operators.

Ferret Information Rescue Shelter & Trust Society
FIRST (Ferret) Society
A Charity for Ferret Welfare in British Columbia
Contact:  [log in to unmask]  URL:  www.ferrets.org
Tel:  604.263.7481  Fax:  604.263.0314