From:
Tigger Too <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:56:09 -0800
>Now, I knew that all the cats, dogs, and horses had my number, but
>ferrets?

Ha, ha! :)  I'm a cat and horse person, too.

>No one responded to any of our ads

Wow.  If I lost my ferret(s) I'd be searching to the ends of the earth!
Maybe he's a pet store escapee?  Or maybe he was kids' pet, and was just
let go when the kid lost interest.

>Is there any way to guess one's age?  This guy has definitely gotten
>bigger since he's been with us.

I don't know.  I recently got two two-year-old sisters, and with better
food and lots of TLC, they have grown.  I didn't know that adult ferrets
could grow, before this.  They're colors have also changed quite a bit.

>What color would he be considered?

Maybe champagne?  Does he have a white bib, white feet, or a dark mask?

>He absolutely refuses to eat anything but Meow Mix cat food.

Maybe try kitten food.  Ferrets need a lot more protein than cats, so
generally speaking, cat food isn't good for them.  Or at least, it isn't
adequate.  There are several different brands of ferret food.  Perhaps
you can write to the various manufactuerers for sample packs.

>He seems to be a lazy boy.

You're lucky, then!  The laid back ones are rare.  As long as his
appetite is good and he doesn't seem lethargic, he's probably just fine.

>how do I find a vet knowledgeable about ferrets in a very rural area of
>South Dakota?

Can't help you, there.  I'm in California (where it is also very hard to
find ferret-knowledgable vets).

>I count my blessings that he chose my doorstep that cold night.

I'll bet he's doing the same.  Enjoy him, Pat!

Staci