From:
LARRY MCFARLANE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 06:23:05 -0700
Please, let's not get this type of thread going on the FML.  Whether or
not Mr. Benson's post offended people, whether more than one took it as
an ethnic slur, there are much bigger and more important things to
discuss here.  Many of us, myself included, have been members of the FML
for many years, and we all know that BIG would never intentionally insult
anyone, nor let racial slurs go through.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the FML, but there are many, many
people here of all nationalities and descendants of said different
nationalities.  While you have been most vociferous in your
anger/disgust, others who might have been offended have just let it roll
off their shoulders as perhaps humorous, since it pertained to a ferret,
or something just in bad taste.  I would suggest, sir, that for the sake
of having said your piece you now let it go.  Please, do not continue to
badger and bait Mr. Benson concerning this, for you will quite possibly
have more people upset at yourself than anything else.

As for me, did I find it in bad taste?  Let's see----I'm pure Irish/Scot
on my maternal side, I'm married to a man who is of Scot descent.  I have
a picture of myself as a ferret, in a kilt with bagpipes, and it gets
modified at times as a joke by a wonderful artist.  No, I didn't find the
post offensive, I thought it rather funny myself, as I often have to fend
my own fur kids off of my Bailey's when I have a wee bit.  From the other
posts I saw conceerning this, others found no offense either.

So, for the sake of the FML, let this drop as of 7/8/06.  Channel your
anger to something that will benefit the ferrets we all love, not pick
fights when none were looked for.  The list, at times sir, can become,
shall we say, quite heavy with the loss of fur friends, the asking for
help from knowledgeable people when a ferret is ill.  There are those who
try to lighten this.  Thank God for Wolfy, Alex, Robin and Super Tonks,
and all the others, which can include myself.  You obviously have not
been on the list long enough to remember the clan wars between ferrets
who used bras for trebuchet!

Let this drop, let it end.

Regards,

Rebecca & the Crew of Merry Mayhem
AKA: Rebecca McFarlane

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup" "Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people
have"