From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:32:51 EST
> From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: BeastMaster and Ferret Sitting
>
> Anyway, we are currently trying to find a ferret sitter situation for a
> long weekend we are going away.  Please no flames here, but how long can
> you leave the critters on their own?
>
> Lost in Marin
>
> ------------------------------

        I strongly do not recomend leaving ferrets alone for more than
12-16 hrs.  Even with enough food and water to last a month.  I couldn't
find a sitter once and left my guys alone with at least a weeks worth of
food and a months worth of water.  I was gone for just over 48 hrs.  I
left them in my bathroom and hallway wich is ferret safe.  When I returned
Sebastian my oldest was severly dehydrated and in alot of pain.  I forced
liquids in him till I could get to the vet.

        My vet did feel a small lump in his lower half but nothing showed
up on the tests.  So after a day and a half on IV liquids and Amoxy. he
sarted to eat, drink and poop on his own.  One day after coming home he
passed a very large fur ball.  Since then he's gained wieght and looks
better than he has in the last year.  God only knows how long that fur
ball was hanging around.

        I beleive if I had stayed away for even 4-6hrs longer he may have
died.  I learned my lesson the hard way and thankfully Sebastian is still
here to remind me.  I won't even do over nighters any more with out my
guys, or someone to baby sit.  They're just to important to me.

        Take care everyone.

        Brad, Sebastian, Mako, Bambie and soon to be added Tasha.