From:
Deborah Bistodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:51:14 EST
Hi, I want to say I'm really sorry to hear about your unfortunate
situation.  It must be really hard to deal with.  However, sugar gliders
isn't the only one.  I know some people that has mice, hamsters, gerbils,
guinea pigs, and much more.  Before you read on, please don't take
anything I say the wrong way.  It's to let you know how I do things here
and hopefully it helps. :)  I have sugar gliders which I unexpectedly
received along with the ferrets in my ferret shelter.  It has been about
7 years now and I have no problem.  What I do is that they are kept in
completely separate rooms on different levels and different bedrooms in
order to prevent from any accidents.  I also have the door set up when
I clean the cage, I have another escapeproof cage to put them in before
I take apart the cage to be cleaned.  If one of them somehow manages to
escape, the door is already closed (not even the open space under the
door is open due to my homemade screwed on blocker to prevent them
getting under door and leave).  I find them and put them back.  I have
had this happen to me three times over the span of 7 years (overexcited
gliders that just cannot relax long enough) and it helps a lot.  Gliders'
cage is also set up on a high table stand, too.  I never like the idea of
having a room where there is too many "accidents waiting to happen." The
same goes for my ferrets.  I set up a room for ferrets where they are to
remain in there to play, etc.  at all times with everything foolproof,
failproof, and ferretproof.  The ferrets are always stimulated with
endless numbers of toys, playland houses, and much room.  I'm in process
of setting up slides, short stairs, tubes on walls, etc.  for them to
continue having fun for hours at best so they do not get bored in one
room.  Having concentrated vanilla extract added in water when washing
these toys make them smell brand new once again for them to continually
be interested.

I guess you could call me as a paranoid and overprotective mom who always
is on guard regardless of animals' relaxed states (they can suddenly
become overexcited within seconds).  I also always look for every single
possible injury/escape/death scenarios of "what ifs."  This method helps
me to be accident free for the past 16 years (knock on wood).  I never
believe in having ferrets running freely around the house because
bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks have the hole where pipes go into the
walls.  There's laundry room, basement, and other rooms that are just too
dangerous.  I always count my noses in a room or in a cage at least two
or three times before I go to bed.  This way, no one gets lost or loose.
I could never sleep until I pick up every sleeping sack, hammock, or
blankets to count noses.  Let me know if you need help with tips, etc. :)