From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:01:23 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Meltdown medical problem today, VETS please comment if possible
>We have decided that part of Meltdown's problem is that she is sleeping
>more, and doing it more deeply so when we are asleep she may go long period

Fluid in (ingestion of water) = fluid out (urine + stool + respiration +
sweat).  With a history of heart disease, the concern is that the fluid is
staying in in terms of ascites, extra fluid in the vessels, enlargement of
organs such as liver, increased fluid in the lung tissue.  If Meltdown is
not urinating, it can pose a serious threat.  I would consider increasing
the dose of the diuretic (lasix or furosemide) and close monitoring for
fluid output.  A repeat x-ray may show any increase of lung fluid also.

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Is teeth cleaning really this expensive?  HELLLLLLP!
>Okay, I decided to get Jitterbug and Monkey's teeth cleaned proffesionally
>since I just don't think I can do it myself.  The first "service" I find
>wants to charge $65 per ferret and they don't even get knocked out!  The
>woman used to be a dental hygenist...

As I mentioned before, unless the roots of the teeth under the gumline are
cleaned, you are doing nothing to stop periodontal disease.  This requires
general anesthesia in pets.  Here in New Hampshire (not the most progressive
regulatory State in the Union), this type of dental cleaning by the hygenist
is probably illegal.  Veterinary dentistry for hire is defined as an act
reserved for licensed veterinarians.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mo' Bob C Q&A
>... I've been offline for the last week and a half while I've been sleeping
>at the hospital to stay with Elizabeth.  She came home today, and although
>she will miss school the rest

As a veterinarian who has to discuss these issues with clients, I would like
to share my philosophy and experiences.  My basic criteria are can the
animal pee, poop, eat, drink, walk and be relatively pain free?  Relative
since we deal with geriatric pets with arthritis.

Quality of life issues are highly individual to the owner.  Owners' criter
also include:

prognosis - something like cancer is more grave than a broken bone which can
be mended.  Included in this is recurrence of disease - the insulinoma
symptoms that will come back.

lifetime left - if the pet has something short term terminal versus
arthritis.  their ability to manage or nurse the pet - force feeding an
anorexic pet is an example.

emotional - some people don't do well thinking their pet is ill.

closeness to the family - some pets are strictly outdoors and not a part of
the family, others are an integral part.

cost - most people have a definite economic set point.  Go over that point
and euthanasia will happen.  I have had two clients in my career tell me
that bullet for their pet was cheaper than my office call (in both cases it
was a cat with an abscess that I did treat and they did pay the bill).  I
discuss all these things with the owner and try to gauge what the owner
wants.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA