From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:16:02 CST6CDT
Steve - Don't forget to seal up the tiny area under the cabinets.  Lynda
used yard sticks and they work great.  We used old trim that was just laying
around (I knew I kept that for something).  Also move all hazardous
chemicals to upper cabinets and secure all areas around pipes.  Ferrets are
very intelligent and have been known to get into child prove cabinets
(notice the child proof - not ferret proof).  They can also open drawers and
climb up from behind to the top drawer, push it open, and climb onto the
counter so keep all hazardous chemicals and items out of reach or duct tape
the top two drawers.  Make sure they can't get in or behind the stove and
fridge but whatever you use to block off the area, leave air space.  Our
fridge and stove are ferret safe so I didn't have to block mine off (counter
top stove with it's own cabinet and oven above, fridge is older style from
Sears with coils on back and motor and fan not accessible to little curious
critters.  bottom solid no kick plate).

Dishwashers, dryers, washers, all dangerous.  Make sure ferret does not have
access to them.

Recliners, sofa beds, futons, couches, all dangerous for various reasons.
Safest is probably the futon but be very careful when opening and closing
it.  Recliners-sofa beds - my advice would be to get rid of them or
completely disable them.  Couches - they can scratch through the bottom and
crawl up in the springs and get crushed or crawl through the crack when you
sit down and get suffocated when you get up.

Stacking crates.  A friend related a story where her ferret got jammed so
tightly in the little hole that he could have died had they not been there.
As it was he was very much in distress and it took her 20 minutes to get him
free.  Apparently ferrets think if their heads will go through so will the
rest of them.  This is not always the case, especially in the larger ferrets.

Plastic bags - if you allow your ferret to play in them cut the handles off
and a slit in the bottom.

Toilet paper and paper towel rolls - a definite no-no.  Ferrets can get
jammed in so tightly around the neck area they can choke or suffocate
themselves to death.  Rip all cardboard rolls before tossing in the trash.

I know there's tons more but I'm probably well on my way to 125 lines so
I'll stop now.  :-)

Hugs to all.  tle