From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1993 15:10:54 -0400
Several issues back, a few people mentioned that although Ivermectin can be
used as an ear-mite medication in ferrets, few vets recommended such usage.

I think that many vets simply aren't familiar with the dosage for ferrets, or
don't know that it is safe for ferrets, but I don't think it is fair to imply
it is not a respectable way to get rid of ear mites.

I have used it a couple of times, and it has worked incredibly well.
Certainly, giving one tiny injection is much easier on both you and the
ferrets than cleaning out their ears daily for a couple of weeks.

Do keep a few things in mind tho:
-The drug is toxic.  You use a *TINY* dosage for ear-mites (e.g. .01 cc).
-Ivermectin is also used to prevent heartworm in many breeds of dogs, and
 can be used for that purpose in ferrets too (though the dosage is different).
-Granted, it *is* off-label use - in other words, using Ivermectin to treat
 mites is not mentioned as an FDA approved use.  But there are NO approved
 drugs for ferrets, except for 2 vaccines, anyhow... so technically giving
 ferrets ANY drug is not legal in the US.
-It works practically instantly, but should be repeated after about 10 days
 to get rid of any mites that may have hatched in the meantime.
-I'm not a vet - please don't do something without discussing the pros and
 cons with one.

Bill