Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:53:05 -0800
"bout Jack and Diane"

Well, Jack and Diane that run Triple F Farms in Pennsylvania.  I am not a
John Cougar Mellencamp fan.

On Thursday, I went to Petco to take home three to foster until they are
old enough to be in the store.  I called Triple F on Friday morning to find
out why they are shipping these ferrets at six weeks.  I spoke with the
owner, Jack, and he said that pet stores want them at six weeks, but that
he agrees, sometimes this is not a great situation.

These animals were shipped in wood shavings which the instruction sheet
that they send along with them to the stores, specifies NOT to use wood
shavings as bedding.  I asked him about this and he told me that as long as
it is treated wood, it is ok because the dust is lessened.  Hmm... I also
told him that I thought one of the babies (Liane has this one), has
Waardenburg (sp?) Syndrome.  Guess what?  He did not even know what this
was!  I asked him again why these ferrets could not be shipped at eight
weeks instead and he told me that the mother's milk dries up at five
weeks - I am not a breeder, but is this true?

When these ferrets were shipped, the crate contained a sealed plastic bag
of something called "Napa Nectar".  I asked him what this is and what is in
it, but he could not tell me that either.  If anyone knows what this is,
please email me.  Apparently, if the ferrets get thirsty during shipment,
they are supposed to chew through the bag and lick the nectar.  This
concerns me because that means that the babies could be ingesting pieces of
the plastic bag.

I was nice to this man and simply told him that I am concerned for the
well-being of all ferrets.  He was cordial and did listen to me (whether or
not he cared is another story).  My concern is that he does NOT know what
he is doing.  I was upset that he did not know about W Syndrome.  I told
him that I thought his ferrets were adorable but that I noticed in the past
couple of months, that they are just simply too young to go to the stores.
Shots were an entire other issue.  He told me that the stores are supposed
to give the distemper shots and that he only gives the first one.  This
could be why some die - the stores are not aware (or not willing to spend
the $) on shots.  I told him this.  DEAD SILENCE.  I also voiced my
concerns about the babies immune systems not being strong enough to combat
all the germs that people trek into the stores.  DEAD SILENCE.

BTW - When I called to leave a message, I got what sounded like a personal
answering machine, not a corporate or business type message.  This bugs me
also because it makes me wonder if they are operating out of their home in
cramped surroundings.  Perhaps this would explain getting them out the door
as quick as possible.

All of you who care to make an impact in this situation can contact them
and voice your concerns:
Triple F Farms
RR #2, Box 432
Sayre, Pennsylvania  18840
P: 570-888-4874
F: 570-888-5017

Please do not use any profanity, he will listen to you if you speak calmly
and explain your concerns.  I am trying to work with Petco to help them
out.  If you see ferrets in a local store that are not doing well or are
too young, why not offer to foster them for a couple of weeks at your home
so that you can see that they are getting the right care?