From:
Bari Himelfarb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:25:14 EST
Hi,
I have a ferret, and my schedule is pretty hectic, too.  I work long hours,
and I'm not usually home before 7pm.  My "Slinky" does just fine.  I wake
up, cuddle and shower him with hugs & kisses, and off to work I go.  Then I
come home, greet him with more hugs, kisses and cuddles, then eat dinner,
unwind and do my chores.  Then I have a specific "play-time" set aside.  At
which time, I use the plexi-baby gates to block all doorways to contain him
to the well "ferret proofed" room, and then out of the cage he comes, for
at least 2 hours (sometimes more) of interaction with me, his flexi-tube,
and all of his other toys.  On weekends, he gets even more time.  It is a
LOT of work, but I and my fiance are committed to him.  Other things you
should take into consideration before getting your own little wuzzie,
though, are:

1) Do you know where you'll be living over the next 5-10 years?  Many
apartments don't allow ferrets, so you'd have to plan for that.  If you
come out of school and are offered some fantastic high-paying job in
California or another place where Ferrets aren't legal, would you be
willing to pass on the job for the sake of your friend, who would be
attached to you by then, and could die of loneliness without you?  Shelters
are packed with pets that people give up, because of circumstances that
change.

2) Do you have enough money for veterinary expenses?  While it is not very
expensive (routinely) to make sure he has food & litter, most ferrets
require at least one major $300-$1000 surgery in their lifetime, for
various reasons: They put everything in their mouths, and are succeptible
to intestinal blockages.  Also, they have a high cancer rate, and/or need
adrenal surgery, etc.  Also, they require annual checkups and the same
vaccines as dogs (distemper & rabies).

3) Can you really afford to invest the time?  Take him with you, to your
friends, etc.  when you visit (if they'll allow you), or else set aside
specific one-on-one playtime with him.  When I was in college, I had a
friend (who was also a student), who had a ferret.  They were best buddies,
though, and everywhere Micki (the human) went, Snoopy (the fuzzy) went with
him.  It was the first ferret I ever met, as well as a fun learning
experience for me.  It could be that way for your friends, as well.  The
only thing you have to watch for, is to not allow it near anyone who has
any dislike for them.  If it bites that person (even in play), the person
could wind up suing you and having your baby confiscated and, in the
worst-scenario, killed for rabies testing.  Also, be careful of the same
thing, concerning children around your ferret.

4) Are you willing to rearrange your lifestyle to insure your ferret has
a safe area.  That means getting on your hands & knees & making sure you
block off any and all access to areas, which may be dangerous to your
ferret.  I put plexiglass in the doorways of my kitchen for example, to
keep him out o f there, so he doesn't get trapped behind the refrigerator.
Thus, I have to climb over plexiglass to get into the kitchen, and some of
my "proofing" is not necessarily the most entertaining for company (which
to me is okay as company is less important than Slinky).

5) Finally, if you meet someone special to share your life with, remember
that person may not like or even may be allergic to ferrets.  Thus, only
ferret-friendly people should meet your dating critieria, after you get
your new little fuzzy.

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a ferret.  I think they are
wonderful pets, and think that anyone who has the love, responsibility,
time & money to invest and really wants one should get one.  I'm just
letting you know what they require, so you can realisticly consider and
"count the cost" before you get one.  I know, I personally couldn't have
handled it, in school.  I had a (indoor) cat, at that time, which is a lot
easier, legally and socially to maintain, and it was still difficult, as I
moved around alot, during those years.  It's now been 14 years since then,
and I'm 35, have lived in one place for 7 years, still have that same cat,
and a dog and my Slinky, and wouldn't trade any of them for anything.  Best
wishes.

Bari