From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:12:35 -0700
Bill, I know this isn't directly ferret related so I will hold my piece
after this.

[Moderator's note: I guess it's related enough since the ferret-related
infringement was reported to the FML, but as an ongoing thread, yes, it's
not appropriate.  BIG]

>Registration doesn't make something more or less copyright, but it does
>grant you three advantages.

And registration must be accomplished within one year of first publication
but consult with a lawyer for exact details.

Assume for the sake of argument that copyright infringement was made by a
nonprofit organization which, by definition, has a Board of Directors.
You've potentially got double trouble.  The courts will probably not shield
the Board of Directors *private* assets from the settlement.  Normally,
being a nonprofit organization means that the courts can't touch any
privately held assets.  But if the BOD puts the organization at risk, the
board is no longer protected.

-Carla