From:
Jenny Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:08:23 -0400
Here is a copy of a letter I just fired off to the producers of Degrassi.
I hope you'll join me in voicing your concern.  The email address of
Epitome which produces Degrassi is [log in to unmask]

To whom it may concern,

This is a COMPLAINT about the Tuesday Sept.  28th episode of Degrassi
which featured one of the characters getting a ferret.  I believe,
something along the lines of "I was at the pet store and couldn't resist"
was said to explain the purchase of the kit.

There are rescue organizations that have been working for years against
such FLIPPANT ATTITUDES TOWARDS PET OWNERSHIP.  This may just be a cute
gimmick, but given the influence of this show the last thing that is
needed is for teens to go out and convince their parents to get the cute
pet they saw on Degrassi.

Interested in the reality of ferret ownership?  Why not visit the FERRET
AID SOCIETY website (http://www.ferretaid.org) and see what happens to
animals that are seen as "cute" and "irresistible".  They get mistreated
and abandoned.  Ferrets are expensive and require an immense amount of
dedication and energy to train and care for.  There is enough
misinformation regarding this loveable, but EXTREMELY HARD TO CARE FOR
animal.  I hope that your writers will have the foresight to involve
ferret-knowledgeable people regarding the care of ferrets if you are
going to continue to exploit ferret ownership on your show.

I look forward to your response on this issue and hear your ideas on how
you plan on demonstrating responsible ownership.

Jenny Barrett
Toronto, Canada