From:
Stephanie Rusk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 06:38:47 PDT
Well, it was well past time that the couch would give birth again, except
we didn't expect it from the loveseat.  We had performed a C-section on
our large couch in order to avoid a "breech" ferret removal from the hole
he went in through.  Plus, he just wasn't close enough to the hole to
even pull him out with calipers.  We thought the loveseat, being virgin
territory, would not bear ferrets on the first try.  (it is a myth and it
only takes once).

We saw the legs sticking out of a corner hole and as we grasped for them,
they slid inside.  We could feel kicking and clawing at the belly of the
loveseat...we had to act fast.  Attempting to induce labor, we held
Nutri-Cal at the opening that seemed way to small for our ferret to make an
exit.  I couldn't imagine what would make the ferret want to leave his
dark, cozy place.  Quickly, we leaned the loveseat on its back and I found
the location of the babe.  With a carpet knife (we didn't have time to find
a scalpel) I slit the belly of the loveseat about 6 inches - enough to get
my arm in and coax the ferret out with some Nutri-Cal.

I saw the head, his eyes were open, there was white fuzz all over him.  I
grasped him, he wiggled in my hand - I thought I would lose him, but I
pulled!  We saw the hind feet, he was out!  I blew in his face to get the
fuzz out of his nose!  We nursed him with Nutri-Cal!  In all the excitement
and relief the poor loveseat lay their hanging open, weakened, yet still
good.  I cradled the babe and then put him in the warmth of his soft
bed...We are looking into having our couches spayed- I can't go through
the "birth" of another ferret - it is taking all the strength out of our
couches.

Stephanie, Chimi, & Pepe