From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 1994 13:36:49 -0500
To Janice Underwood:

        Janice, it has been my experience that some animals just need some extra
time to "resort" themselves following surgery, whther it is adrenal or something
else.  Stick with it though - make sure that V'orri gets adequate food and
water.  You may want to try some warm chicken baby food (Gerber second meals -
little blue jar).  It is the food we turn to whenever anyone is in recovery -
V'orri may not like it the first time, but if you are persistent, most animals
will go after it, and then have to be weaned off and back onto their own food.
If V'orri was going to die following adrenal surgery, he'd have already done it
by now. So all you have to do now is to get him eating.  Be gentle and
persistent...eventually he'll come around - they alsways do.
        As long as the suture line looks good, and she's not too frisky - I
think you can put Frieda in with him...it should have been long enogh by now...

To Donna Austin:

        Welcome to the FML and thanks for the kind words.  (For other people, I
saw material from Warlock during his bout with the "green slime" and he had the
GREENEST feces I've ever seen - a beautiful forest green..)
        Concerning descenting - if scenting isn't a problem - I recommend not
descenting.  I have had some problems with some of my animals we descented at a
late age (before we knew better).  There is a high incidence of problems
associated with this operation, as you would expect, based on the locale.  It's
a tricky operation, and certainly nothing your average vet should attempt.  Even
the best have a lot of problems afterward.  In short, if you don't have to,
don't.

        At any rate - good to see you on the list, and my best to you and yours.

Bruce Williams (I'm finally caught up!!!), DVM