From:
Ferrets at Heart -- Ask A Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:25:07 -0400
All the ferrets here are recovering well with supportive care. Only
Templeton is still on soup, and he's been seen sneaking kibble ("No
Mom. I really wasn't. I promise! More soup, please?"). The girl in
isolation on Albon isn't improving any faster than the others. It is
a wonderful sight to have our furry ones bouncing around again with
excess energy, climbing in our clothes and running off with toys! The
stool of some of the older kids is still a bit loose, but there is no
more green diarrhea, no more black sticky tar gel. We'll get passed
this.

For everyone who has been critical in public or private, we all know
that the ferrets we hold dear bring out our strongest emotions. It is
my job as a shelter operator to remain polite and personable, so as not
to tarnish the name of Ferrets at Heart. I appreciate those of you who
are aiding me with knowledge and financial assistance in making
appropriate choices for our ferrets.

The last few weeks have been so difficult, exhausting, and I felt so
overwhelmed. The Facebook mess, hoard of critical emails, and prank
phone calls assured I was isolated, not sure who I could speak to. Who
would give advice one day and snipe the next? I am glad to have met
those of you who came out of the woodwork to help and not add to the
circus.

Now, I ask for prayer. You know of my mother and her lung cancer. I
spent April with her in North Carolina. She's had a very bad day. They
think the pain she keeps having means the cancer has gone to her bones.

Add to that, her diabetic father is in the hospital with a heart attack
(20% kidney use and no way to fix artery blockages), and Mom is too
weak to travel. An x-ray just found spots on Grandaddy's lung this
morning, and he never smoked. One of Mom's brother's has had spots on
his lungs for three months -- also a non-smoker -- and no one told her
until today. Her other brother -- with one lung, and a survivor of
heart surgeries and a variety of other cancers -- will have his
cancerous bladder out on this Friday. My grandmother's leg may be
amputated, if it keeps hurting, since the second knee replacement has
fused the leg stiff (depending on whether the pain is worth living
with or the amputation risks are worth more).

To say Mom has much on her plate is an understatement. Please pray. If
you can, send Mom a card. She gets the bone scan Thursday, so the bone
cancer isn't certain, but the doctor was very unhappy. I'm her best
option for a match. Mom can be reached at:

Joyce Cabe
53 Green Vale LN
Franklin, NC 28734

Bless you all for your kindness to us through everything. Running a
rescue is never easy, and not with family crises looming. Maybe enough
prayers can reach an angel's attention. Miracles still happen every
day. I'm living proof.

Lori of Ferrets at Heart
Huron, Ohio
(419)433-6016