From:
Emily Topp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:27:18 +0200
Anybody out there with non-descented ferrets who might be able to help?

Here in Germany, they don't automatically remove the anal glands in pet
ferrets, it's considered unnecessarily cruel.  It's really not a big deal
with our boy, but we've been having problems with his sister now since
the beginning of the year (they are 3.5 years old).  Sometimes she seems
to get an "ooze" and smells like a constant poof.  The vet we consulted
theorized that her poop wasn't firm enough which would lead to not enough
pressure on her glands.  Somehow this would lead to them being clogged?
She suggested that I try different kinds of kitten food as a supplement
to her ferret food (Totally Ferret) to see if that helped firm her up.
She expressed her glands while I was there and they WERE clogged.

Her poops really aren't very loose, except for the once in a while upset,
and we haven't seen any progress in the stinky department.  Any ideas or
experiences?

Thanks, Emily