From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:13:50 -0500
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Report: Businessman's Tour of Marshall Farms.
>... The officers at MF are well aware of the attacks upon their industry ,
>as we see so often posted here and on other venues.  The response is: The
>more complaints they endure may cause them to retaliate against ferret
>owners by ceasing completely all USA pet ferret sales and instead
>redirecting that portion of ferrets normally dedicated to pet store sales
>to the animal testing labs and other live animal consumpters...

For them to quit selling pet ferrets because we attack them seems highly
unlikely.  I don't know exact figures, so these are only guesstimates, but I
have heard they put 80,000 ferrets into the pet market each year.  Assuming
(again, I don't know the exact figure) that they get around $30 for a pet
ferret, they'd be throwing away 2.4 million dollars a year.  It also doesn't
seem very likely that labs will suddenly clamor for ferrets and replace
80,000 lost pet market sales.  Are they going to throw away 2.4 million
dollars because we hurt their feelings?

>species-crossing disease worse than AIDS)?  Also one may muse a new
>signifigance to the ferret chow with the name, "Totally Ferret."

Performance Foods is really going to love this implication!

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, Inc.
*
* Visit our web site: http://www.gate.net/~mjanke