From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 May 1994 09:52:52 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask] (Szymanowski, John)
> Date:   Tue, 10 May 1994 00:55:04 -0400
> Subject: Call for Ferret Clubs, Assoc. etc
> Submitted-Date: Tue May 10 00:16:59 EDT 1994

John,

I'm not great at Canadian geography, but the STAR*Ferret database lists a
club and a shelter in Ottawa.

[Ottawa is 250 miles from Toronto, Montreal a trifle farther.  There was
a guy trying to start up a national group (Canadian Domestic Ferret
Association) some years ago, but I think that effort simply collapsed.]

Ottawa Ferret Shelter
Teresa Hart
RR#3 Kemptville
Ontario K0G 1J0
Canada
613-258-258-1019

Ottawa Ferret Club
Pegge Clark
PH10-900 Dynes Road
Ontario K2C 3L6
Canada

There's also one vet listed in Ottawa:

Grenville-Dundas Vet Clinic
John Hall, DVM
Highway 43, P.O. Box 1552
Kemptville
Ontario K0G 1J0
Canada
613-258-2394

[Kemptville is about an hour away from most of Ottawa.  The Bells
Corner's Animal Clinic is a lot closer, and pretty good with ferrets.]

There's also our friend in Montreal, Andre Beauchamp, of Furet Mon Ami,
email address -- [log in to unmask] -- who might be able
to help.  Good luck!

This also seems as good a time as ny to remind FMLers of the existence
of the STAR*Ferret database, diligently compiled and maintained by Pam
Grant of STAR* (Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets).  A copy of the list
can be obtained by sending the message GET FERRET DATABASE to the listserver
address at the top of every FML (or if you are on CompuServe, GO PETSFORU
and download FSHLTR.TXT from the Small Mammals Library).

Anyone who has additions or corrections to the list should send them directly
to Pam at [log in to unmask], as she does not subscribe to the FML. Or
you can send them to me, and I'll be more than happy to forward them to her.
This is a precious resource, and should be supported.  (Or you can join
STAR* and you'll get regular updates in the STAR* newsletter!)

> From: [log in to unmask] (Andre Beauchamp)
> Date:   Tue, 10 May 1994 18:19:15 -0400
> Submitted-Date: Tue May 10 02:06:57 EDT 1994

Andre,

Ferrets *do* sleep rather soundly, but your experience sounds a little
different.  The only Canadian vet I have the address/phone for is Dr.
Hall (above).  But I'll bet our own Dr. Bruce Williams will have something
to contribute here!

> FURET MON AMI wants to give the best care to their ferrets. A big thank you
> to those who will answer us.

BTW, just a tag onto my note about STAR*Ferrets (above) -- I would highly
recommend that you send your address & phone number to Pam Grant so you
get into the next update of the STAR* list -- there are so few Canadian
resources on it...

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153