Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:26:35 -0600
Granted, I haven't heard anything about them being "regularly" used to
lay cable and so on, I do know that they have been used for such things.
Sounds like a bit of hyping it up for the British public in a "Look what
those crazy Americans are doing" style.  However, as to making them
acceptable as domesticated pets, how many newspaper articles do you read
about just your normal, average, every day cat?  Or dog?  Not one that's
done anything special, just lies around the house, scratches himself, plays
with the ball, makes a few messes and eats a few meals.  Yeah, we think
they're wonderful and wouldn't trade those every day moments.  But if it's
publicity you look for, you won't find it in this way.  The best way to get
the word out is through the ferret clubs, information days at pet stores
and other such places -- and by emphasizing their unusual characteristics,
like that article and the one a few months ago about the space shuttle,
articles about what they can do in schools with special needs children, and
nursing homes with the elderly and disabled.  I know a lot of you have
posted wonderful stories about what your babies have done for people --
would you be willing to share them with your local newspaper or magazine?
That may be the best way to show the public that they are not wild
creatures, but loving pets.

cjc