From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:53:11 -0500
Hi Everyone!

I just got the word -- The Nasphv Compendium for 1998 is now recommending
that ferrets be treated the same as dogs & cats!!!  This came straight from
Vanessa Baird, the rabies coordinator for the City of Virginia Beach.  The
other exciting news is that because of this recommendation, that Virginia
Beach, Virginia has already adopted a quarantine policy for ferrets !!!!!!!!

I am doing the wardance and I am at work!!  My co-workers probably think I
am crazy!!

Here it is straight from Suzanne Jenkins:
"This is to let you know that the Compendium of Animal Rabies Control
Committee decided yesterday to recommend managing ferrets that are exposed
to rabies or that bite humans in the same way that dogs and cats are
managed.  This decision was based on a report from Chuck Rupprecht on the
results of the final rabies viral shedding study using a variety of bat
rabies virus strains to infect ferrets.  The details of the studies will be
shared later and the 1998 Compendium will include ferrets in the same places
that dogs and cats are mentioned.  I just wanted to be sure that public
health officials were the first to receive this information which I am sure
will be spread widely and rapidly by the ferret enthusiasts."

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Happy Ferreting!

Lisa Leidig
Director
The Ferret Haven "by-the-Sea"