From:
James Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:14:36 -0400
The answer to the midwest cage is to get rid of the littles shelves
altogether.  Cut 1/2 inch plywood the size of the inside of the cage,
attach L brackets to one floor and cut a ladder hole for it.  Place this
floor half way in the upper door.  Put 1 inch dowel through the bars just
above the lower and place the second floor on it with ladder hole cut
anywhere you want it.  Place ladders in cage and wire tie them to the side
of the cage to prevent them from moving.  This gives you a great three
story cage tah is safe from any falls or ladder removal and makes it a
really great cage.  You can hang hammocks and tents from all three floors.
Right now I have two of them made this way and up to nine or ten ferrets
sleep in them at any one time with plenty of room.  The cages are never
closed as they are in a private ferret room so they can come out and play
anytime they want.  I also have custom acrylic litter boxes for each cage
that are a perfect fit so they don't get shoved around and away from the
corner as they fit the entire width of the cage.  Oh I forgot, I cover the
plywood with scrap vinyl that I got from the carpet store for easy clean
up.  Just wipe and go.  Hope this helps all of you with midwest cages.