From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:15:46 -0400
Those sure don't look like European Polecats to me, but like the
"Marbled Polecat" which is a cousin mustelid, the Vormela -- endangered
but not as badly so as in some recent past decades. Now, I know my
eyesight is lousy, but i don't think it is that bad that I'd see a
Vormela instead of a Mustela! LOL!

BTW, if you would like to see Vormelas:
http://www.photozoo.org/d/13324-3/Vormela+peregusna+6.JPG

The degree to which the back is brown is somewhat variable in vormelas,
but I think the spots are always present, and I have seen photos of
some with some lighter brown and even golden areas on the head. Here
is one with a light back:
http://itech.pjc.edu/sctag/marbled_polecat/pic4.jpg

Some species info for you:
<http://genomics.senescence.info/species/entry.php?species=Vormela_peregusna>
and
<http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=621958>

OH, I haven't seen this before and it is really quite marvelous:
http://www.all-about-ferrets.com/marbled-polecat.html

Remember that Jack Hanna has introduced domestic ferrets as wild
animals in the past.

I suspect that what Letterman felt as purring was vibrating which could
be from waking up or from excitement.

The slow loris brought back memories, having worked with one 30 years
ago.

He tends to have an incredible rapport with animals but at times what
he says is inaccurate.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: