Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:11:22 -0500
More than likely the reason why obtaining some sort of placard or
special license for a service animal team (handler/animal) is
highly unlikely due to the HIPPA privacy act, and it's somewhat
unconstitutional. I'll be honest, I believe I would feel quite
embarrassed if I had to tell people the reason why I needed a
psychiatric dog/animal or a medical alert animal. There have been
cases where police officers demanded "proof" of a disability, needless
to say those officers were canned from the job. It is purely illegal
to ask that question. I and many others have been in those situations
time after time.

As for another note: (it maybe similar in most states)- drivers
licenses and personal id cards usually have a restriction code defining
your disability (not all). For an example, my drivers license states
restriction 9 (deaf or hard of hearing), my license plate also says HI
2181, the HI stands for hearing impaired. It is a special code to alert
emergency personnel.

Okay, story time...several years ago my first service dog and I were
asked to leave from a public event (art show) by a police officer. He
stated that NO animals were allowed in this event (another lady with a
seizure alert dog was also asked to leave), both of our dogs wore their
vests, US and national service dog licenses were also visible, yet this
dumb arse cop decided to argue. He asked for proof of my disability. I
stood there standing my ground, making a scene stating I will not prove
I'm deaf, other than my speech is a tad bit different from the norm.
Needless to say I was "almost" arrested. Thankfully, he had his mic on,
so our conversation was heard all over the police station. After we
were kicked out by force, I hauled my butt down to the police station,
from there the chief of police had to call the DOJ to check on the
laws. After the DOJ informed them my rights were violated, and I could
file a law suit, they quickly apologized. The next morning, both local
papers, the news, and the ADA board were getting in touch with me. The
ADA board (linked to the DOJ) apologized for this cops actions, and the
rest of the story was out. The cop was fired after 25 years of service,
and now my newer service dog and I make educational speeches to the
police academy.

Unfortunately, it takes cases like these to make the public aware of
the importance of a service animal team. In my opinion, perhaps the DOJ
will change the regulations again if there were more cases and "proof"
that other animals can assist their handlers. Never under estimate
the bond between handler and animal. If there's a powerful enough
connection between the two, that animal will risk their life for their
handler.

Kris Church LVT and VTS in Animal Behavior
Co-Director of the RFRL
http://www.RichmondFerretRescueLeague.org