From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:34:41 -0500
(BIG: I have Mike's permission to post his private email to me with my
response here.)

>Hi Susie.
>Thanks for the info.  I've forwarded this to everyone I had email addresses
>for in the state of Florida so I'm sure they're getting barraged. :)  I

[snip]

>A little clarification if you could... I'm not very politically active (I
>vote but that's about it) so correct me if I'm wrong... shouldn't we
>contact our own reps from our area?  Will some representative from Brevard
>pay any attention to what someone in Miami thinks?  I'm still going to call
>them, but I was curious if it would mean more to contact our own
>representatives?
>   Mike

Mike,

Good question.  We wanted to show our local Senators and Representatives
that was there was an interest in this initiative all over the state of
Florida, not just one small group of Brevard County ferret owners.  But, to
be sure, I thought that I should put this question to a couple of our
legislator's offices.

*Should we begin to have everyone call their local legislators rather than
your office?*  I was told that the calls had been pouring in...in fact one
came in from Miami while I was talking to one of the offices!  Pat
yourselves on the backs!!  We *are* making a difference!

The aide advised me that our point had been made and that everyone should
begin to call *their* local legislators and tell them to support this
initiative when it goes to Tallahassee.  The only problem with this is that
only Brevard County legislators are aware of the proposal from Brevard
County.

If you'd like to contact your local, calling would probably suffice, but I
would hold off calling until the bill officially gets to Tallahassee and has
a number.

There is no point in sending a "rabid" bunch of ferret owners after unarmed
legislators.  If you can give them a bill number, they will have something
to search for ...

People telling them to support an unknown issue will generally go in one ear
and out the other (or would possibly be confused with some other bill that
may be out there for animals).

So, relax, but watch your e-mail.  We will keep in touch with all of you.
In the meantime, I have found a web site that describes the Florida
Legislature and legislative processes.  Thank you all so very much for
helping us!!

Susie Sherman
Member of Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue
Melbourne, FL

Sunshine On-line: The Florida Legislature: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

The House of Representative District Map will help you find your
Representative: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/house/images/maps/hdismap.html

The Senators District Map will help you find your Senators:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/senate/images/maps/sdismap.html