From:
Lori Nisja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:40:01 -0600
Hello there.  I need some advice on what to do about my ferrets (2 1/2 yr
old sables), especially Katie.  She has been losing weight lately and is
terribly skinny.  She has always been smaller than the other one, but she
looks anorexic.  I don't know how else to put it.  She still plays, but not
as long as she used to.  I have seen her eat, drink and poop (just maybe not
to the extent that she normally does).  I have read and re-read the FAQs and
nothing seems to "fit".

During Halloween weekend, I had 2 visiting ferrets.  The night after they
left, Katie started throwing up and one (or both) of them had guacomole
colored poop and diarrhea.  I took both of them to the vet the next morning
(unfortunately my regular vet was off that day, and this vet was sorta
clueless about ferrets), they Xrayed Katie and didn't find any intestional
blockage.  They gave her some "albon" ( liquid antibiotic).  Just as I was
leaving, Kaylin starting pawing at the roof of her mouth, so the vet looked
at her too.  So the 2 of them were on the antibiotic.  The next day, they
both were eating some and they seemed to be feeling better (and the
guacomole green poop had disappeared).

But now it appears that Katie has lost weight.  The last time she was
weighed she was 1.35 lbs, now I'd guess she's maybe 1 lb.  If you have any
ideas, suggestions, etc. PLEASE email me ([log in to unmask]), since
I'm behind on my fml readings.

Lori & Jeff
& the fuzzbutts Katie and Kaylin