From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 21:40:28 EDT
Arriving home after football practice I noticed the fire alarms in the
apartment building were on.  With lights flickering and sound blaring I
get out of my car and think "Just what I need".  I walk to the mailbox
hoping this will be over by the time I get my mail.

As I approach the mailboxes the fire department in coming in.  As they
continue up the stairs and into the building.  A lady says "Benita they
are going to your apartment 209".  I think "Oh S**T".  I drop everything
in my hands.  I run the set of stairs 2 at a time.  My hallways look like
a mental asylum due to the fact I live in a 1800's cotton mill that has
been reconstructed.  As I run down the hall the fire department doesn't
realize that I am approaching.  My mind is racing as I try to think what
in the world could I have left on.  I am in full stride as I run pass the
fire personnel that are in a single line.  Saying excuse me I live in
209.  I have animals in there.  Before they realize what I said and where
I was running I had cleared them by some feet.  Just as I opened the
door, someones says "Don't go in there"

Too Late... I open the door and there was no smoke, no fire.  I think
"Thank God"  As they proceed in with their gear on.  Mask, O2, and
everything.  They realize no fire.  They looked through the apartment.
Then they are drawn to the animals.  Mind you there are 18 animals.  Next
thing you see is a fire personnel taking off their mask head straight for
the very large ferret cage.  One man says' "Hey Look in here Ferrets"...
Then they looked around as though they were in an animal store.  Mind you
there was actually a bad smell of smoke in the hallway..

After they realized they were there for a reason they left out the door
and heading across the hallway.  I headed back down to get my gear and
taco bell.  As I walk back down the hall passing the fire department and
Eric the cause of the event.  I chuckled.  "You couldn't just go to Taco
Bell, could ya" He said he was sorry.  There was a lady who wrks for
Fulton police she states.  Dag Eric trying to burn the place down.  I
told them after a while the rental office is going to require us to take
cooking lessons on the weekend.

Once I cleared the fire department a man looked back and says "Need any
help with your things"  I think "Why would I need help"  I play womens
football if I can't carry it I shouldn't be wearing it.  He laughed.

After I thought about everything.  I think he was just curious about a
women with so many animals and it was a clean apartment.  With all the
activities that happened that evening.  The ferrets could care less they
were stretched out sleeping as though they were at a country club as
usual.  Usually when people encounter ferrets they always tell of the
smell.  At least there are some people who can actually say... That's
womens ferret didn't smell..  And dispell some negativities that people
put out about them.

It also reminds me, I need to start getting my emergency gear box
together for the what ifs on how to get the gang out the window

Just wanted to share.

Benita