From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 22:53:21 -0500
Dear FMLers:

Once you get behind in FMLs, it's almost impossible to catch up.......

Tonight I'm reading about being careful when reading advice from non-vets.
Some non-vet people seem upset by this particular vet's post, but - IMHO -
I think this veterinarian is right.

Those of us with lots of ferret experience need to be careful what we say
and how we say it.  BTW, I am not ragging on Carolyn Kinsey, I'm just
putting in my 12 cents worth.

I've read posts from non-vets (and I'm not talking about vet techs either)
who diagnose and medicate their own ferrets, and then pass on these stories
to the FML.  Yes, the FML is a forum for sharing stories, illnesses, and
advice, but we have a responsibility to the less experienced owner to be
careful with the advice we give.  I've seen posts from non-vets on how to
vaccinate, how to ward off vax reactions with prophylactic injectables, for
example, and this can be dangerous.

Some states don't have laws controlling the sale of needles and syringes.
More harm than good might come from someone who decides to do this on their
own without any expert advice from a knowledgable veterinarian.

Yes, I breed, and yes, I give my kits their vaccinations.  However, I have a
certificate from NYS that allows me to purchase needles, and my vet taught
me how to do it.  I can administer fluids at home if I need to, and yes, the
ability to do so has prevented many a disaster - but I've worked in human
medicine and vet medicine for 25 years, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it.

I think our anon vet was just asking all of us to be careful with our
interpretation of what we read here, and to be careful with the kind of
advice we give.

Go Buffalo!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA