From:
Kris S Mewton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:30:07 -0400
Good Morning FML:

As President of MFRAN (Michigan Ferret Rescue and Adoption Network), I
would like to clarify the position of MFRAN and its representatives.
Despite characterizations as such, MFRAN does not have a personal
vendetta against Doug McKay specifically, nor ferret mills in general.
As an organization that supports rescues and facilitates in the
placement of homeless ferrets, we were contacted by Mr. McKay
personally regarding his ferret mill breeding stock. Mr. McKay openly
sought our assistance and freely admitted that due to age and illness
he could no longer provide a reasonable level of care and treatment
for his breeding stock in their current numbers.

Representatives of MFRAN have repeatedly tried to arrange for Mr. McKay
to legally surrender his ferrets to MFRAN or other rescue organizations
of his choice so that their health and maintenance needs could be met
by placement into loving private homes.

To this date Mr. McKay has refused to do such on the grounds that he
will not surrender these ferrets without monetary compensation. Because
of this stance on the part of Mr. McKay, and impasse has been reached
and in the process his ferrets have continued to suffer inhumane,
unsanitary conditions. Due to Mr. McKay's condition and declining
health, his ferrets are forced to endure ever increasingly dangerous
and unhealthy conditions in which his ferrets are suffering and dying
unnecessarily.

It is because of Mr. McKay's position to place his own monetary gain
and profit above and before the humane treatment of these ferrets that
MFRAN as an organization have made it an important goal to see these
ferrets freed and placed in loving homes where they can receive proper
medical treatment, conditions and love they deserve.

It is not MFRAN's intention to make this a personal attack on Mr.
McKay. In fact, MFRAN's members are highly sympathetic to Mr. McKay's
position and ailing health and are cognizant of the dramatic lifestyle
and health changes he currently faces. However, it is the charter of
MFRAN to not idly stand by with knowledge of ferret suffrage. While we
agree it is the right of an entrenapeur to enter business with the goal
of making a profit, we do not condone it at the knowing and willful
expense of humane animal treatment.

Due to MFRAN's experience in similar experiences across the nation, our
members have chosen a proactive stance and have established a monetary
fund which is not directly linked to MFRAN's day-to-day financial
activities and is solely dedicated to assisting in the health care
needs of ferrets rescued specifically from the Doug McKay ferret mill.
To the contrary of accusations, this fund will not be used to purchase
ferrets from Mr. McKay. It is MFRAN's stance that Mr. McKay should
considering his own words regarding his abilities to provide proper
care for the ferrets in his ferret mill and should take the humane
action of surrendering his ferrets to non-profit organizations that
will see to their placement into loving homes. The funds collected into
this special rescue fund will only be used to assist in the medical
treatment of ferrets rescued or surrendered from the Doug McKay ferret
mill.

We publicly invite all parties interested in this situation to visit
our website (www.mfran.org) to read legal affidavits regarding the
conditions of Doug McKay's ferret mill and to see corroborating photos.
We also publicly invite all individuals to privately arrange with Doug
McKay to visit his ferret mill and to judge for themselves the
conditions in which these ferrets are currently and continually forced
to live.

Sincerely,
Kris S. Mewton
President
Michigan Ferret Rescue and Adoption Network

Please Help With the DM Ferret Rescue Foundation
http://www.mfran.org/Doug%20McKay/Doug%20McKay%20Foundation/Doug%20McKay%=
20Foundation.htm
www.mfran.org
Also If you go to I Give.com you can help raise Money for our cause
http://www.igive.com/html/refer.cfm?memberid=87568&causeid=26454
www.mkaresq.cm