From:
Tedd McKeever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:51:03 -0700
Hi, everyone.

I must say that I am very confused and seeking advice from all you long term
fert owners.

While reading my copy of FERRETS U.S.A.  1997 annual issue there is an
article intitled "FERRET FOOD FOR THOUGHT" by William Sadler Ph.D. pages
40-44.  Dr. Sadler directs research efforts at Purina Mills and serves as
Director of Zooloical Mazuri Diets.  On page 42 is a note box "FOODS TO
AVOID" Dr. Sadler writes, "while an occasional snack won't hurt, avoid:
dairy products, chocolate, sugary foods, salty foods, bones, foods with high
levels of vegetable protein (like soy flour and wheat gluten), foods with
"collective" ingredients (like animal or plant protein products), and (the
last of the list) vegetables or fruits like bananas, raisins, apples or
other high-fiber foods that ferrets cannot digest."

I know chocolate becomes toxic and bones are without question, especially
chicken, and I understand about the dairy, because it can cause diarrhea.
However, I have read on the FML and talking to others owned by ferrets on
the Ferret Chat that raisins are the biggie of snacks when it comes to
ferrets and used for training.  I also know that a lot of you feed bananas
to your ferts.  So my confusion is, should I give my two fuzzies raisins?

As with all of you, I'm sure, I don't want to do anything that will hurt or
make my fuzziebutts sick.  What really worries me is that the food I give my
ferrets is 8-1 Ultra-blend Ferret Food with raisin juice added.  If they
can't digest raisins are they properly digesting their food?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Sandy
Fizzgig (But, mommy I love my raisins!)
Benny 'Da Weasle' Gambini, (Whada ya mean raisins are bad? Fool with me
Doc, and ya'll never see a sock again!)