From:
Lisa M Tieber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:18:27 CDT
I am a vet student and I have been working with a vet here at school on
my own ferret "Kabuki" who had been diagnosed with adrenal disease.  We
believe that this is not a surgical emergency and can be delayed.  He
said that I could wait on surgery for several months or so.

However, you must consider the fact that the longer you wait the risk of
the tumor (if it is a right adrenal tumor) enlarging and invading the vena
cava is greatly increased.  This could make surgery more difficult.  Also
the hormones the adrenal gland produces will be high and long term exposure
to these hormones may be detrimental (high levels of estrogens in ferrets
can lead to aplastic anemia; however, I have no idea whether the estrogen
levels from an adrenal tumor would have the same effect).  Most adrenal
tumors are not likely to metastasize or spread.  So I guess you do not
need to worry about that aspect of waiting.  I hope this is of some help.

---
Lisa M Tieber