From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:19:48 -0500
Scott wisely wrote (and it bears repeating):
>The allegations of animal abuse, or other violations of the law (retail
>stores selling underage animals is illegal in most areas) need to be
>reported to local authorities so an official investigation can be started
>and action taken against those violating the laws.  Spreading unverified
>stories is a great way to create more urban legends, but it usually leads
>to a reputation for not telling the truth.

He's right, though I'd suggest that the first step for many should be to
contact the local large humane groups for the following reasons: many
compile such material for presenting as part of large cases which can
sometimes close down those who are irresponsible, they will be likely to
know the state departments and individuals who are most likely to be of
help, they will be able to find if other groups may have a case against the
breeder/distributor/importer at any given time.

Sunshine asked:
>I am a bit curious as to why people have more then two ferret's?  Is it
>because they are missing something in their life or what?

If the two ferrets are very close friends there is no real reason to have
more than two, but sometimes having more allows for more variation in group
interactions and therefore keeps life more interesting for the ferrets.
Several things need to be taken into account, though:

1. Are the ferrets of reasonably spaced ages so that you won't be facing
the sorrow of losing 3, 4, or more within a short amount of time in the
future?

2. Are you keeping the numbers low enough that you can provide good medical
care?  Steve and I put aside $2,500 in the budget each year for each ferret
who is 5 or over just in case in addition to our normal budgeting for
medical costs and emergency costs.

3. Are the numbers low enough that you personally are able to give enough
individual attention to every ferret.  This is going to vary among
individuals due to variations in lifestyles and such.

Right now for us 6 seems to be exactly the right number in all regards but
that number will be different for others, with some dealing well with more
and some with fewer.  At different points in our lives we may be best off
with far fewer as happened in the past, at one point having only one and at
others sticking with 2 or 3 for extended periods.  A few years back we were
fine with 7.

>Day old mice are about the size of the nail on your pinkie finger

I know I have small hands but your's must be huge in comparison!  The day
old mice I had long ago were more my thumb nail size, slightly smaller,
actually.

Could you PLEASE tell HOW you managed to nurse the day old ferrets?  Did
you use the old tricks of soaking fine cotton cloth (sheeting or
handkerchief cloth) in the formula and letting them suck on that, or a
dropper behind cloth while letting them suck on cloth?