From:
"J. J. Glow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:18:33 -0400
First time poster here - I was visiting the John Ball Zoo in Grand
Rapids MI the other day and I wandered to the "barn animals" type area
where they had a petting zoo with cows, chickens, goats and the like.
In a small cage (in a well-shaded area) I saw three ferrets! There was
a sign that read "Domestic Ferrets: related to weasels and wolverines.
Very good hunters, sharp teeth DO NOT TOUCH" I didn't know what to
think at first. It was an odd sight to see...at a ZOO...3 little pet
ferrets in a display. My first thought was, "it's too HOT out here for
them!" it was about 88 degrees and very humid (MI summers get very hot)
I know most animals get taken indoors overnight at this zoo, but I had
to wonder if these ferrets get a lot of out-of-the-cage time?

Has anyone else ever seen ferrets at the zoo? Should I be concerned or
assume that these people, who know a LOT about animals, are taking care
of them properly? (The workers at this zoo seem to care a lot about the
animals and do a really good job from what I've seen!)

Thanks to anyone that can weigh in on this situation!

-Juna