From:
Linda Gaylord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 08:48:22 -0400
Hi!  I have 2 ferrets, Phoebe and Charlie, who have been a joy ever since I
got them (from a rescue) 8 months ago.  They never bite, except for love
nibbles on our ankles, and play well with our 4 BIG dogs.  We have 19 cats
who spend most of their time trying to avoid Charlie's amorous advances, but
no problem there.  He can't jump on the counter, although he tries!  We live
near SF.

When I first got P&C I kept their cage in my studio, which didn't work very
well because they were all by themselves most of the time, and it gets VERY
warm in the summer.  So I moved their cage out onto the solarium.  This has
worked well through the summer.  I can open the windows or close them, and
all the other animals come and go through the pet door, and stop by to say
Hi to them.  They can watch the birds, squirrels, etc.  There are a lot of
plants out there too, so they don't have to breathe second hand cigarette
smoke laden oxygen.  I think their coats have gotten thicker, and they seem
very healthy and happy.  My question is: Should I move them back into the
house (with radiant heat) this winter, or would they be better off staying
on the solarium?

We don't usually have REALLY cold winters, but it does get damp and chilly.
The sun will shine in during the days and warm it up to 60-70, but at night
it may get as cold as 30.  Of course they have stacks of rugs, blankets,
baskets, etc.  to burrow in, and are always cuddled up together.  I know
they don't like being too warm, but is cold a hazard too?

One other thing....
I'm an artist, and I want to make a poster showing all the different color
variations for ferrets.  Does anyone know how many there are, and where a
person could find photos?  Both of mine are sables, and I have a friend with
albinos and silver mitts, but I KNOW there are lots more variations than
that!  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda        ^o^<>~  &  ^o^<>~
                 ""     ""

[Moderator's note: Linda, I've seen some of your artwork - very nice!  There
already is a poster about color variations that's been making the show
rounds (see ad issue 1 for details) but not to imply there isn't room for
more!  BIG]