From:
"Kris Aaron-Benedum (and S. & S.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:35:35 -0500
A story from the Sunday, August 11 issue of the *Wisconsin State Journal,*
Madison, Wisconsin, discussed how vets are using Prozac and other
anti-depressants to modify inappropriate or excessive animal behavior,
including nervousness, compulsive behavior, depression, over-eating and some
forms of aggression.

The veteranarian in the story was quoted as saying: "Most people look at
these as magic pills.  They are attached to their pets and they are
desperate.  Behavior problems are the biggest threat to the longevity of
pets..  I see fixing behavior problems as being just as important as
nutrition, vaccination and disease control."

Appearantly, there is a growing interest in Prozac for pets, although it's
still experimental.  But a few clinical tests on psychoactive drugs for
animals *are* being conducted (an anti-senility drug for dogs is expected to
be approved soon).

While some drugs have negative or dangerous side effects, including possible
addiction (to valium, for example) that could result in hostility if the
animal forced into withdrawal, some vets are willing to prescribe
psychoactive drugs (some ask owners to sign waivers).

"There are some verts who send 80% of their pets (seen for behavior
problems) home with medicine.  People are looking for the easy way out," the
vet said.  "Vets should never use drugs without a thorough medical exam and
counseling.  I usually spend at least two hours talking with owners, working
on ways to modify behavior.  I might tell people to put a litter box in the
living room when they don't want to.  But that might solve the problem."

FYI only. I thought of Kelleen and her little "biter" when I read this, but
was delighted to hear that he's settled down thanks to love and attention.
Still, if makes the difference between life and euthanasia for just one
fuzzybut ...

Shredni & Scooter - the sentient beings and rulers of all they survey
Rainey & Stormin - the humans and humble slaves